Title: Retail Selling
Teideal as Gaeilge: Díol Miondíola
Award Type: Minor
Credit Value: 15
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to operate effectively in a range of retail selling environments.
Learners will be able to:
1. Explain the principles and capabilities of a range of technologies currently utilised in the retail sector to include cash registers, bar code scanners, electronic payment units, security devices, and stock control systems
2. Interpret key terminology and trends in retail selling
3. Analyse the impact of a range of factors on a retail environment to include customer loyalty, merchandising, retail ethics, training and communications skills
4. Analyse current retail legislation and identify key legal responsibilities in relation to employers, employees, customers and product manufactures
5. Identify health and safety initiatives aimed at improving safety in a retail environment
6. Analyse the key characteristics of a range of payment options available to customers in a retail environment
7. Analyse the key characteristics of a range of retail environments to include self service, online selling and personal service
8. Employ a range of techniques to identify appropriate opportunities to open or close a sale, to deal with complaints or to present alternative products
9. Employ a range of communication skills in a retail environment to include use of active listening, product demonstration, and customer support techniques
10. Employ secure cash handling techniques when dealing with a range of procedures to include refunds, void sales, vouchers, electronic transactions, payment validation, cheques, floats, product exchange and credit notes.
11. Employ standard procedures to utilise a range of devices currently used in the retail sector to include cash registers, bar code scanners, electronic payment units, security devices, and stock control systems
12. Design a procedure for dealing with an unexpected incidence such as a fire or an injury in a retail environment
13. Contribute to the planning and implementation of effective customer services policies to include returns, cash and carry, delivery and after sales services
14. Take responsibility for the effective handling of customer feedback.