Title: Desktop Publishing
Teideal as Gaeilge: Foilsitheoireacht Deisce
Award Type: Minor
Credit Value: 15
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to produce a range of documents containing text and graphic images from design briefing to printing, using a Desktop Publishing (DTP) system.
Learners will be able to:
1. Distinguish between desktop publishing and other forms of document production with reference to purpose, development process, and specialised DTP roles
2. Describe the characteristics of key components of DTP systems including those used for input, storage, protection, processing, output, and transmission of images and data
3. Outline the essential considerations for handling text and graphics in DTP documents including size, resolution, format, placement, orientation and colour, in the context of a range of page layouts
4. Describe the legal implications associated with use and protection of published material including licencing and copyright
5. Generate graphic content using a DTP application to create, import, capture and manipulate images and drawings
6. Set up a document for publication or printing specifying all required layout characteristics such as page, text, frame and table setup
7. Create a range of possible designs to meet a given brief with due consideration for production cost, presentation format and environment, and print materials
8. Fulfill the requirements of a client brief completing all stages in the publication process including requirements analysis and definition, solution design, planning, production, finishing, printing and publication
9. Analyse existing documents making appropriate recommendations for improvement.